Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Mango Mousse Mishap


A Mango Mousse Mishap

                Contrary to the title above the mousse turned out pretty good, the mishap was when I dropped the final product because I thought I could carry two at the same time. Thankfully, there were five other plates still unharmed.

            Up until now I have never had any mousse, I thought it would be a lot softer but it was quite firm after it came out of the freezer. Other recipes I found refrigerate their mousses instead for 1 to 2 hours.I would like to try making mousse again at home but I do not have any gelatin, so I looked up different recipes online and you can make mousse without gelatin or agar agar that acts like gelatin but instead of being a by-product of meat processing it is made of red seaweed.However, you would not be able to use agar agar anyway with red seaweed being endangered and all.

            The easiest recipe I found uses a bit more whipped cream and separated eggs with the whites whipped. Here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it http://www.yummly.uk/#recipe/Chocolate-Mousse-1468621 .It is simple and only needs five ingredients, the website also allows you to switch between US and metric measurements. It is also important not to have any bubbles in your mousse, but some recipes want bubbles in their mousse like this one vegan recipe that requires liquid from a can of chickpeas, also called aquafaba. You beat the liquid until the froth turns into a meringue and apparently it works just as well as egg whites.

            I learned a lot from making mousse and had a lot of fun doing so. Time to start experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment