Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Donut Expect Success


Donut Expect Success



            On my first attempt at making yeast-raised and cake doughnuts the results varied greatly between the two. The yeast raised doughnuts turned out pretty well, I was surprised by how little time it took to fry them. It took just under a minute compared to the baked items I have made. Once they cooled off slightly I topped them off with a peanut butter glaze and colorful sprinkles.

            The cake doughnuts however did not turn out so well. I made cake doughnut holes that weighed 40g each, when I fried them they did not cook through. After putting them in the oven for a few minutes, they were done. I reportioned the remaining doughnut holes to 20g each, only to have them still not cook through.

            Why did this happen? There are a couple reasons as to why this happened, since I had doubled the recipe there is a chance I could have miscalculated one or more ingredients, second the oil could have been too hot, and lastly 20g might have still been too big.I'm pretty sure that the last two reasons where why the doughnuts turned out the way they did. An interesting fact I found while trying to figure out what happened to the cake doughnuts is that a good percentage of people (mostly older people) like their doughnuts plain, instead they prefer a cup of coffee or milk.

             Aladyresponding to blog on doughnuts summed it all up quite nicely when she said, "It's all about the dough, especially for a yeast doughnut. To be a truly great doughnut, the dough should be flavourful and the topping or filling should be complementary".

        There is a lot more I learned as well, what I thought was just a quick and easy fast food treat(and while it still can be) turns out to be a lot more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment