Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Elated End Exam

Elated End Exam
            Exams were an exciting time to say the least, and once they were over relief washed through me like a raging river. How do I feel about my end products of the exam? Some I feel I did pretty well on, others I only hoped the platting was enough to distract from the odd flavors and textures of the item, mainly the braided, challa loaf.
            The cookies turned out the best I think, the edges were a little crunchy but the center was still soft. They were a bit larger than I had first thought making the platting a little bit difficult, I served the cinnamon cookies with a cup of hot milk since I prefer to have a drink with sweeter snacks.
            The challa turned out far from what I wanted, I have a strong feeling that I did something wrong in my conversions. The dough rose a lot faster than everyone else's and looked a lot more yellow, there must have been too much yeast and egg yolks. The crust after it had been braided and baked looked similar to tree bark. I plated the bread slices around the plate and put a cube of butter in the center with a knife in the center.
            The lemon tart I made turned out okay. The first tart shell I had made and baked then filled and was about to plate it when it broke, so I made a second thicker one in the remaining hour which I then filled and decorated immediately after it had cooled enough. The filling didn't set well and was not as firm as I would have liked it to be, it kind of looked like a thick lemon soup. I attempted to make it a bit prettier by adding on a chocolate decoration I thought would stay firm for at least the five minutes it needed to be. It melted.
            The éclairs turned out almost perfect, the pastry cream was creamy but still firm, the ganache was smooth, I added on a little bit of icing sugar and topped with a little bit of Chantilly. The pate choux turned out well though looking back I think they could have been a little bit larger and baked at a lower temperature for longer and should have taken them out of the hotter oven sooner.
            All in all I feel I could have done better but I'm proud of what did turn out, and I hope to do more blogging next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment