Thursday, September 15, 2016


First Week

          In the classroom we have been covering some basics in food safety and have begun our firsts blogs. In the bake shop I have made three items thus far. Apple Crisp was the first; I mixed the doughy batter for too long, though it seemed to only affect the texture and not the overall flavor. Chocolate Sauce was the second; no major mistakes were made, though I was quite surprised with how much the whipping cream expanded when it was simmered. I really liked how well it turned out, the steps were few, and there were only three ingredients. Cake Pops was the third, I did not make the cake pops just melted the white chocolate and added the sprinkles. The way I was told to melt the chocolate though was quite interesting, I had to place the chocolate in a metal bowl and place it over a pot of hot water. I have melted chocolate by pouring or adding a hot substance with the chocolate, or just putting the chocolate in the microwave, so it was interesting to learn yet another way.

          Getting use to a new kitchen always takes me a while, the bake shop is no different. Though it is very organized and while I like to think I know where most of everything is I still have to be told or reminded.

          The people in this class are all very kind and helpful and complementary as well as our teacher/chef. I do hope I can mirror their kindness.

          The bake shop is a nice place to work in. Everything is neat and tidy, the windows let in a great deal of natural light which I glad for.

          While I tend to be tired from the work we do in the mornings I am sure I will get used to it soon enough. This semester is looking to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment